Monday 31 December 2012

New Year's Eve



 
Every year since I created this blog, I've had this little tradition of taking photos on new year's eve and blog about them in the afternoon -- as you can see here. The weather has of cause changed every year: there's been fog and frost (2011), snow and ice (2010) and slightly white with a big pink moon (2009). But this year it's been the most boring weather so far. All day it's been dark, windy, wet and foggy. And not possible to get anything like the photos I've been able to share previous years. Tried to wait, hoping the wind would clear up the fog a bit, but it was only getting darker and around 14 my camera already protested, saying it was too dark outside.


(to make it clear: this pic was taken around 16:30, not around 14 when I took the first pics.)


I don't want to give up my little tradition just because of bad weather, but it's on the other hand boring to writing about the last day of the year and illustrate it with such cold and dreary photos. So I cheated a bit: the photo above is taken today and the photos below are from yesterday.





Fingers crossed we'll at least be able to see some of the fireworks at midnight. Hope the weather is better where you are. And that you're having/will have a good evening, whether your plans include a fancy party or a cozy time at home in front of the telly tonight.

~*~

This year, too, I would like to quote Neil Gaiman's new years wish and wish all you creative souls out there a beautiful year filled with beautiful mistakes. Or as I put it last year:


The blogs are filled with people wishing others a happy new year and planning ahead for 2012 now. Some are sending out greetings to their readers and followers, others are making resolutions and preparing for their own personal challenges or inspirational mottos for the new year. I was just going to publish the photos today and let that be my greeting to you on this day, but then I just read this new year's wish from Neil Gaiman on his blog and thought it really applied to us beaders, jewellery makers, crafters and artist -- in our personal lifes as well as in our creative pursuits -- so I wanted to share it with you:

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever."

You can read his whole new year's eve post at Neil Gaiman's Journal.


Thank you for following me and commenting on my blog through the year, even when I'm rubbish at replying on comments or write self-pitying screeds. I do appreciate you and your comments, even when it doesn't look like it and I hope you still see that. Your comments make me happy. They make me smile and they make me enjoy blogging so much. Whether you "just" read (and pin) or also comment, I appreciate your visits and your interest in me and/or my writings. You make the journey of life less lonely for an introvert girl who find it hard to make friends and be social. I hope you'll stay with me through 2013 too and that we all may have a great year in front of us, filled with opportunities, creativity and happiness.


Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic quote and so true. Too bad about the dreary weather. Happy new year! May it be a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you, your family and the cats! Happy beading! Milka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, Milka and Cynthia! Hope you've had a good start on the new year so far.

    ReplyDelete

A few words can mean so much. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

PS! Feel free to email me if you don't want to comment publicly -- look under Contact (under the header)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...